Brian Emery, Ph.D.
Assistant Researcher II
Assistant Researcher II
Areas of research
- Improving the accuracy and resolution of ocean current measurements
- Quantifying error in oceanographic HF radar observations
- Resolving complex coastal flows
- Kirincich, A., B. Emery, L. Washburn, and P. Flament, 2019, Improving surface currents resolution using direction finding algorithms for multi-antenna high frequency radars, J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., https://doi.org/10.1175/JTECH-D-19-0029.1
- Emery, B.M., 2019. Evaluation of Alternative Direction-of-Arrival Methods for Oceanographic HF Radars. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering.
- Emery, B.M., and L. Washburn, 2019, Uncertainty Estimates for SeaSonde HF Radar Ocean Current Observations, J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol, 36(2), pp.231-247.
- Zhang, W, N. Ebuchi, Y. Fukamachi, F. Cheng, K. I. Oshima, B. Emery, T. Toyota, H. Abe, K. Shirasawa, 2019, “Sea Ice Observation by Oceanographic HF Radar”, in press,, IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing.
- Washburn, L., E. Romero, C. Johnson, B. M. Emery, and C. Gotschalk, 2017, Measurement of antenna patterns for oceanographic radars using aerial drones, Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 34(5), 971-981.
- Sally MacIntyre, Jose R. Romero, Gregory M. Silsbe, and Brian M. Emery, 2014, Stratification and horizontal exchange in Lake Victoria, East Africa, Limnol. Oceanogr., 59(6), 1805-1838
- Emery, B.M., L. Washburn, C. Whelan, D. Barrick, and J. Harlan, 2014, Measuring Antenna Patterns for Ocean Surface Current HF Radars with Ships of Opportunity, J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 31, 1564–1582. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JTECH-D-13-00181.1
- Ohlmann, J. C., J. H. LaCasce, L. Washburn, A. J. Mariano, and B. Emery, 2012, Relative dispersion observations and trajectory modeling in the Santa Barbara Channel, J. Geophys. Res., 117, C05040, doi:10.1029/2011JC007810.
- Ohlmann, C., P. White, L. Washburn, E. Terrill, B. Emery and M. Otero, 2007, Interpretation of Coastal HF Radar Derived Surface Currents with High-Resolution Drifter Data, Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 24, 666-680, doi:10.1175/JTECH1998.1.
- Emery, B.M., L. Washburn, M. Love, M.M. Nishimoto, and J. C. Ohlmann, 2006, "Do oil and gas platforms off California reduce recruitment of bocaccio (Sebastes paucispinis) to natural habitat? An analysis based on trajectories derived from high frequency radar", Fisheries Bulletin, 104:391-400.
- Emery B.M., L. Washburn, and J.A. Harlan, 2004, " Evaluating Radial Current Measurements from CODAR High-Frequency Radars with Moored Current Meters", Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 21, 8, 1259-1271.
- Washburn, L, B. M. Emery, B. H. Jones, D. G. Ondercin, 1998, Eddy stirring and phytoplankton patchiness in the subarctic North Atlantic in late summer, Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers, 45, 9, 1411-1439
- Emery, B.M. and Washburn, L., 2016 Improved direction of arrival methods for oceanographic HF radars, In Antenna Measurements & Applications (CAMA), 2016 IEEE Conference on (pp. 1-4). IEEE.
- Washburn, L., Romero, E., Johnson, C., Gotschalk, C. and Emery, B., 2016, Antenna calibration for oceanographic radars using aerial drones, In Antenna Measurements & Applications (CAMA), 2016 IEEE Conference on (pp. 1-4). IEEE.
- Whelan, C., B. Emery, C. Teague, D. Barrick, L. Washburn, J. Harlan, 2012, Automatic calibrations for improved quality assurance of coastal HF radar currents, Oceans, 2012, 1-4
- Emery, B.M., L. Washburn, and J.A. Harlan, 2003, Evaluating radial component current measurements from CODAR high frequency radars and moored in situ current meters, Proceedings of the First International Radiowave Oceanography Workshop, Timberline Lodge, OR, 9-12 April.
- Washburn, L., E. H. Beckenbach, B. M. Emery, and J.A. Harlan, 2003, HF radar observations of surface currents in the vicinity of Pt. Conception California, Proceedings of the First International Radiowave Oceanography Workshop, Timberline Lodge, OR, 9-12 April.
- NSF Collaborative Research: Resolving complex coastal flows via advances in high-frequency radar, Co-PI, 2017
- Satomi Family Graduate Dissertation Fellowship, 2017
- NOAA Fellowship Automated Comparisons for IOOS HF Radar Quality Control, 2016
- NOAA Fellowship Automated Comparisons for IOOS HF Radar Quality Control, 2015
- Ralph M. Parsons Foundation Fellowship, 2014. For graduate students in Sciences and Engineering
- NOAA SBIR Phase II, 2011 (pg 14), HF Radar Calibration with Automatic Identification System Ships of Opportunity
- NOAA SBIR Phase I, 2010, Ocean Current Radar Calibration with Ships of Opportunity and the Automatic Identification System
Citable code associated with the above publications:
Github repositories: https://github.com/brianemery/
- Whelan, C. C. Teague, D. Barrick, Emery, B., and L. Washburn, HF Radar Calibration with Automatic Identification System Ships of Opportunity, NOAA SBIR Phase 2 Final Report, September 2013
- Emery, B. M., and S. MacIntyre, Expanding observations of mixing in Toolik Lake with the North American Regional Reanalysis, NSF Arctic LTER final report contribution, 2011
- Emery, B., C. Whelan, D. Barrick, and L. Washburn, Ocean Current Radar Calibration with Ships of Opportunity and the Automatic Identification System, NOAA SBIR Phase 1 Final Report, May 2011
- Emery, B. M. and L. Washburn, Evaluation of SeaSonde Hardware Diagnostic Parameters as Performance Metrics, January 2008
- Emery B. M., K. E. Laws, L. Washburn, and J. D. Paduan, Error Characterization in High Frequency Radar Ocean Surface Current Observations, December, 2006
- Emery, B.M. and L. Washburn, Uncertainty Estimates for HF Radar Coastal Ocean Currents, AGU Ocean Sciences Meeting, Feb. 2018, Portland OR
- Emery, B.M., and L. Washburn, Investigating Alternatives to MUSIC for Oceanographic HF Radars, AGU Fall Meeting, Dec. 2016, San Francisco, CA
- Emery, B.M., L. Washburn, I. Mezic, H. Arbabi, S. Loire, C. Ohlmann, and J. Harlan, Oil Spill Trajectories from HF Radars: Lagrangian Stochastic Model and Applied Dynamical Systems Methods, AGU Ocean Sciences, Feb, 2016, New Orleans, LA
- Washburn, L., E. Romero, C. Johnson, B. Emery, and C. Gotschalk, New Applications for Autonomous Aerial Vehicles (Drones) in Coastal Oceanographic Research, AGU Ocean Sciences, Feb, 2016, New Orleans, LA
- MacIntyre, S., J. P. Fram, Paul J. Kushner, and B. Emery, Effects of Large Scale Forcing on Thermal Regime and Mixing Dynamics of Lakes in the Alaskan Arctic ,LTER All Scientists Meeting, Estes Park, CO, September 2012.
- Emery, B., L. Washburn, D. Barrick, and C. Whelan, Antenna Patterns from AIS Ships of Opportunity, ROWG 5, April, 2011, Santa Barbara, CA
- MacIntyre, S., A. Jonsson, M. Jansson, J. Aberg, D. Turney, B. Emery, and S. Miller, Buoyancy Flux, Turbulence, and the Gas Transfer Coefficient in a Stratified Lake, AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, December, 2010.
- Reams, E., C Johnson, B. Emery, and L Washburn, Liquid Cooling for a SeaSonde Transmitter, ROWG 3, Sept, 2007, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, San Diego, CA
- Johnson, C., B. Emery, and L Washburn, Custom Transmit Antennas for SeaSondes , ROWG 3, Sept, 2007, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, San Diego, CA
- Yu, G., B. Emery, and L Washburn, Effects of Antenna Pattern Smoothing on SeaSonde Radial Data, ROWG 3, Sept, 2007, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, San Diego, CA
- Emery, B., and L. Washburn, Alternative Direction Finding Methods for Oceanographic HF Radars, Radiowave Oceanography Workshop, Luneburg, Germany, 19-21 Sept. 2017
- Emery, B., and L. Washburn, Improved Direction of Arrival Methods for Oceanographic HF Radars, IEEE Conference on Antenna Measurements and Applications (CAMA), Syracuse NY, 23-27 Oct. 2016
- Emery, B., Improved Methods for Oceanographic HF Radars, ME Grad Slam Event, 2016 Mechanical Engineering Annual Convocation, University of California, Santa Barbara, Oct. 12, 2016
- Emery, B., L. Washburn, and K. Brown, Improving Uncertainty Estimates for Radial Current Observations, Radiowave Oceanography Workshop, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 4 Nov. 2015
- Emery, B., L. Washburn, C. Whelan, C. Teague, and D. Barrick, Calibration of Ocean Current Mapping HF Radars, Center for Interdisciplinary Research in Fluids, College of Engineering, Univ. of Calif. Santa Barbara, 22 January 2014
- Emery, B., C. Whelan, C. Teague, L. Washburn, and D. Barrick, Antenna Patterns from Ships of Opportunity, The 6th Radiowave Oceanography Working Group meeting (ROWG-6), 13-15 November 2012, St. Petersburg, FL.
- Washburn, L., B. Emery, C. Johnson, and C. Ohlmann, Oceanographic applications and developments in hardware and software using an array of high frequency radars in the Southern California Coastal Ocean Observing System, Radiowave Oceanography Workshop 10, September 26-29, 2010
- Emery, B., M. Nishimoto, L. Washburn, and M. Love, Do oil and gas platforms off California reduce recruitment of Bocaccio (Sebastes paucispinis) to natural habitat? An analysis based on trajectories derived from high frequency radar, ROWG 4, Old Dominion University (Norfolk, VA) June 2-4, 2009
- Emery, B., A Review of ROWG-2: Goals, Format, Attendance ROWG 3, Sept, 2007, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, San Diego, CA
- Steering Committee Member, Radiowave Operators Working Group (ROWG), 2004-present.
- Participant, Learning From Data, Machine Learning telecourse, California Institute of Technology, spring 2012.
- ROWG 5 Workshop Host, Santa Barbara, CA, 2011.
- HFR Operations Notes
- Collaborative work in response to Refugio Oil Spill, in The UCSB Current, May 2015
- HF Radar based simulation of the Refugio Oil Spill, May 2015
- Joint work with Igor Mezic's Lab in the SB Independent, June 2015
- UCSB and Codar partnership: Antenna Patterns Made Even Easier, Codar Ocean Sensors Newsletter, Aug 2011
- UCSB helps develop massive coastal radar network, Santa Barbara News Press, June 12, 2011
- Citation data from Google Scholar
- ORCID: 0000-0001-5760-6722
- Curriculum vitae
- Mailing Address: UCSB Marine Science Institute
Bldg 520 Rm 4002 Fl 4L
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-6150
Formatting copied from Prof. Might
Last modified: May 26, 2015